There are plenty of people who knew Anne Bryan better than I did, some of whom are good friends. I hadn't spoken to Anne for a long stretch of time. We didn't hang out too often when she attended Scripps. But I still feel the news of her loss in my gut. Twenty four and vibrant and alive. Young, in years and soul. Anne was a light. I remember her as someone who was always ready to share a laugh, always ready to genuinely engage with people, to share her joy. One time, when I was at the Mudd hole waiting for my order to be filled, I saw Anne at a table on the right side of the soda machine. I was up to my ears in a paper, I don't remember about what. She called out to me, waved me over. We hadn't hung out too much at this point, and I was still a shy little social wall fly, but she reached out to me anyway. No hesitation. I don't know what we talked about, but I left feeling light, refreshed.
I remember dinners at Mudd with friends. Anne was a vegetarian. That feels right somehow. She seemed to live from a place of compassion.
I remember a conversation we had about something we had learned in class. We conflicted on some point, and she said something about human pain. I had been talking about conceptual social politics, and it was jarring to me. It took me a long while to see the relevance, but I see it now. She was talking from the heart, thinking from the heart. A rare thing to behold in academic spaces, which are often hostile to that kind of thought, to putting the heart and human compassion first. But it is a sacred thing, something we all can learn from. The heart matters. People matter. Interpersonal contact matters. Anne was saying something about this.
I remember Anne as someone who always looked me in the eyes when we spoke, who seemed to really want to hear what I was going to say, to really want to know how I would respond to her, to really want to know how I was. She was genuine in a way a lot of people don't know how to be.
And she was hilarious! Quirky in her humor. Always ready to express herself, she never seemed self-conscious in her jokes, in her words. She seemed honest.
Yes, she was honest. I helped her with a paper once, informally, I think, when she wanted an outsider's perspective. She was so forthcoming about her thoughts, and was so sincerely invested in developing them. In remembering that conversation, I see no ego-tint in it. She wasn't trying to prove anything. She wanted the paper to be good. That was all.
I remember that Russian accent everyone has been mentioning. So lighthearted. So quirky. So hilarious.
I remember a conversation about killer squirrels. Those damn conspiring Scripps squirrels, simultaneously sneaky and bold.
I remember some crack about jungle juice. What was it, exactly? We had been talking about the college party scene. We were wee freshwomen.
I remember joining Anne and other friends outside, laying in the sunlight on the Scripps lawn, talking about nothing, laughing about everything.
I remember Anne Bryan. Anne Bryan, I remember you. I remember you as a beautiful human soul, whose unique sense of humor filled the world with laughter. I remember you as someone who never hesitated to share your joy with others. I remember you as inquisitive and bright. I remember you as a warm, youthful presence who I know will be sorely missed for longer than anyone can tell. I remember you.
Rest in peace, Anne.
2 comments:
Sara,
Thank you so much for writing this.
Just wanted to share, off of this:
I met Anne on Outdoor Orientation. We were in the same group. When it came time to sleep, I was nervous because I usually did stretches for my back and then read some prayers before bed. However, Anne was next to me, and rather than teasing me (as I feared) or even ignoring me, she asked me about it, and we had the most wonderful conversation as we lay in our sleeping bags under the stars. She was the first person at Scripps who I talked with about faith. I had been afraid that I would be laughed at or marginalized, but Anne epitomized the thoughtful, respectful, and lovingly curious Scrippsie that I found to be the norm.
Anne was a breath of fresh air. I will miss her.
What a beautiful memory. Thank you so much for sharing.
Post a Comment